Friday 20 April 2012

Tutti Frutti

Morchella esculenta?  Fuji F11
20th April 2012

We often think of fruits as being pleasant to look at and delicious; apples, bananas (yum!) etc.   There are many other fruiting bodies however and I almost trod on one today; not immediately pretty but certainly has a 'distinctive charm'.

I am no mycologist and so would rather let this chap set spores than attempt to eat it.   It does resemble Morchella esculenta which is considered by many a delecacy, but it could be others too which are not so pleasant.
I think I will keep an eye out for more and consult a chap in the know... meanwhile, if it does sow spores and is good to eat, I know where there may be a useful crop next spring :)

3 comments:

  1. Hmmm... looks toxic to me, Ev. What was it growing next to?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jon,

    It was growing very close to tarmac and the railway, so yes, probably contaminated with something! It looked a bit old and going over so I was not tempted. The real test would be to cut it in half; the Morels are hollow inside whereas the false Morels are solid.

    Interestingly, Morels are slightly toxic if not cooked and are quite likely to induce a dodgy stomach apparently. I think the best bet is to train the dog to sniff out truffles instead of rats :)

    Evan

    ReplyDelete
  3. As an update, the fungus in question had been damaged this morning and is no more unfortunately. However, as it was split open, it did confirm that it was at least hollow and highly likely to be an edible Morel....

    Evan

    ReplyDelete